Saturday, May 28, 2011

Turbulent Faith


And so starts my Alaskan adventure….. and a rough start I must say. My international flight had severe turbulence for about 7 hrs straight! Turbulence is probably one of my biggest fears and by the first hour I was already a nervous wreck. To keep me from crying, the sweet old man I was sitting next to started trying to distract me by telling me about his life as a farmer in the mountains of New Zealand. This went well until the turbulence got worse and a friendly flight attendant took the vacant seat next to me to try and calm me down as well. I sat there holding both of their hands as the plane drastically dipped and turned and they began to ask me to tell them about some of the important things in my life to further distract me.
Through my tears I began telling them about Jesus. It was the most natural conversation ever because I was just answering their questions. For the next hour the conversation became quite deep as their questions revealed a genuine curiosity about God rather than just trying to distract me.
Over the coarse of the flight I was able to shed some unexpected light on who God really is and as the plane FINALLY touched ground and I prepared to disembark, I handed the stewardess a letter thanking her for keeping me sane and assuring her that I would be praying for you and thanking God for her kindness. There were tears in her eyes as she thanked me in return.
This experience taught me that as we go threw life, weather we realize it or not, we are either carrying each other closer to heaven or tearing each other down. I love that God used my fear to help take people a little higher on a journey I hope is heaven-bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment