Thursday, June 30, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For...or you might be swallowed by humpback whales! (part 1)


Whale's lunging :-)


So I have been jinxed since the day I got here! I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to spotting whales. My friends and I will be hangin on the boat dock, I’ll leave for 2 minutes and three whales will pass by. My dear friends thought this was just hilarious and while everyone kept teased me, I started prayin for the coolest whale encounter ever! Not only was I asking to see whales up close, but I was also hoping to get a cool picture with them, like me smiling with a whale tale in the background!

The last two weeks of my time in Alaska a phenomenon happened. A huge pod of 7 whales decided to chill right in our tiny cove and feed. Whales feeding is nothing short of majestic! To sum it up they surround a school of fish, blow bubbles out of their spouts to create a ring of bubbles which traps the fish, and begin to surface to force the fish to the surface. This all happens below the surface, all you can see from the top is flocks of seagulls soaring just above the water lookin for the huge school of fish to start jumpin out of the water, the birds get about 5 seconds to grab the fish before a gigantic ring of bubbles appears at the surface. 

Seconds later the whales do something called a lunge which is where they leap out of the water, mouths open wide, in perfect synchronization! It sounds like thunder and looks like something out of Jurassic park as these 7 huge animals begin their feeding frenzy!
This was constant, live entertainment for us for 2 ½ weeks!! I’d fall asleep to whales singing within 20 feet of my yurt. I’d be watching whales pass by as I brushed my teeth every morning. You could see them from the zipline trees and every single kayak tour was epic!! But we needed a closer look… (to be continued tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment