Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Hunter Haven


This is me and my closest church friends, Bonnie and Dave are on the left


As much as I love my life here, I am starting to sense a longing for some soul fellowship. After being surrounded by missionaries and nomadic Jesus freaks during my time in New Zealand, I’m starting to really feel the contrast of being on a remote island without any outside friends or church family.

I walked along the dock one evening praying and singing which has become a tradition I really look forward to, and asked God where to go, knowing that he wanted this for me as much as I do. The next Saturday night I set off walking to a big red church located up the hill from my yurt. Wanting to make sure this was the right place for me, I asked God send me a sign, I asked Him to let me feel welcomed here within the first 10 minutes.

I walked through the large cedar doors and was immediately greeted by the firm handshake and warm smile of the pastor himself! His wife Bonnie joined us and within minutes (less than 10 I might add *wink*) we were laughing and getting to know each other as I tried to explain how the heck I got from Florida to their little church in the forest.

Before long I felt comfortable enough with them to be very honest in what I needed. I humbly asked them if they would consider adopting me for the summer, I am a big fan of mentorship and love making friends with a local family whenever I travel.

I wouldn’t trade my epic lifestyle for anything however; the longer I’m away from home the more difficult it gets to be so far away from my church and family. Bonnie and Dave Hunter were to become my heaven sent haven during this challenging and rewarding Alaskan season of life.

Rather than just meeting up for tea every week or so, the Hunters went above and beyond my humble request and invited me into their home whenever I needed them. Over the months these 2 genuinely became my Alaskan mom and dad. I spent many late nights drinkin tea and either crying with them during some dark times or laughing with them during the good times. 

I'm telling you all this to encourage you to reach out for help when you need it. I needed to have a family, that I could really depend on for guidance and prayer and God gave that to me. Sometimes I wonder how many cool blessing we don't get simlpy cuz we don't ask. Ask God for what you need and you might be surprised how he replies in very creative and exciting ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment