Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Home Sweet Yurt!



After spending my first few days in town, I’m headed out 15 miles into the wilderness where I will be living and working. I’m in the middle of a temperate rainforest surrounded by the greenest trees I’ve ever seen! My new room mate Becky, a girl with wild red hair and a personality to match it, offered to show me to our new home. We walked past the boat dock which desplayed a variety of colorful kayaks and one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen, and along a small trail through the forest to our yurt.

 A yurt is a round and domed canvas tent/hut with a giant skylight at the top that originated in the mountains of Mongolia. They are quite popular in Alaska and are useful for pioneering new areas as a temporary home.

I crossed the rickety log bridge and dropped my bags by our small propane fireplace, which will serve as our light and heat source since we don’t have electricity. It’s a humble yet charming set up with 2 beds, a small table and couch. We are perched right in the middle of the trees with a beautiful ocean view.

With nothing but canvas separating us from nature, Becky and I are lulled to sleep every night by the sound of the surf on the jagged rocks, the rain hitting our thin roof and an occasional whale spouting and singing nearby. This is shaping up to be a summer I will never forget!!

Nothing like my bandanas and tribal jewlery to make me feel right at home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment