Sunday, June 5, 2011

Alaskan Sea Kayaking...Is My JOB!!!!!


Guiding a tour around the Tatoosh Islands


After I finished training for ziplining, me and my fellow rooky guides took to the Alaskan sea, looking like a bunch of seals in our full body wetsuits to practice kayak rescues. With whales spouting in the distance, we took turns falling out of our kayaks into the FREEZING waters and learned how to climb back in in case of a capsize.
I’m proud to say that I can officially get back into my kayak faster than everyone else, simply because my Floridian self has the biggest motivation to get out of that Arctic water!
Pushing kayaks off the shoreline

Our duties are divided between guiding kayak or zip line tours. To add to the variety, we offer either a 2 hr kayak tour around 2 nearby islands right from our boat dock or a scenic ½ hr boat ride to paddle around the remote Tatoosh islands. 
Kayakers coming back from our Eagle Island Tour

Both of these tours allow the possibility of seeing stunning wild life such as bald eagles, harbor seals, sea lions, and humpback whales!! No matter how many times I paddle these routes, the wild life never gets old even though I’m surrounded by it everyday.
A Pod of Humpback Whales!!

It's not uncommon to paddle in complete rain and wind for the entire day due to the weather pattern of our Island but early on we all learned to put on our rain gear with a smile everyday and eventually got pretty used to it. We work really hard all day long, and usually come home sopping wet. There's nothing quite like getting all showered and warm and hangin on the dock or porch together watchin the sun go down after another epic Alaskan day.
Sunset from our boat dock

No comments:

Post a Comment